Monday, September 28, 2015

My Dining Room

Although my dining room is a work in progress, I came across the before picture and realized I had to post at least the window for now.
After
Before
So when we moved into a house that had been flipped by someone the wool was pulled over our eyes a bit.  The house was completely staged.  From cheap drapes and curtain rods to hooks that pull out of the wall when you hang one jacket.  Our Flipper painted to deck brown, it was chipping before we were done unpacking. My favorite thing he did was put gravel below the deck because he had to take out a cracked cement pad and did not want the expense of replacing it.  

One of the first things I did was take down all the ugly drapes in the family room and dining area.  Luckily the rest of the house has blinds, or shutters.  We sold all of these walmart special drapes and rods at a garage sale for $2 a piece.  The ugly Oops paint that covered the walls in the kitchen and dining had to go pretty quick after we moved in.  Then I waited, I wanted to put casing around this and three other windows.  I had some finish carpenters come in and bid it.  I think I had 4 or 5 walk through and one gave me a bid.  One of the guys actually told me we could just go around the window seal.  What?  Since the window seal did not go out on the sides far enough, I though the only option was to remove it and start over.  This guy wanted to jimmy rig a way around the existing seal.  No that really wasn't an option.  I also wanted to have material MDF on the inside of the window seal so that the window case looked nice.  Maybe I hang out on DIY websites too much for these guys.  I do know now why they didn't bid me, I would be too picky for them and new construction is just easier and paid out with a loan, not a owners pocket.  So not wanting to take No for an answer, I ripped out the three easier  (because they didn't have an arch) window seals and used the old seals for a template.  Easy, then I realized how truly easy finish work it.  Except I still hate sanding and sanding and chalking and hole filling.  

This arch though
looked hard to me, there is material that binds I think but I had some extra MDF sheeting laying around so I made a template and cut it with a jigsaw, there was a lot of sanding going on.   The Paint is Benjamin Moore Kentucky Sky and I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment